The Club runs Activity Training Class, based on Agility dog sport, to complement our Obedience Training.
These classes teach handlers and dogs how to navigate an obstacle course, including bar jumps, broad jumps tunnels and weaving poles.
The Club has found Activity Class to be a popular way of training and interacting with dogs in addition to formal Obedience Classes. Once the basic obstacles have been taught, the Activity Class is all about handlers learning to communicate clearly and consistently with their dogs and how to motivate their dogs using reward -based methods of training.
Working as a Team
Activity Class offers handlers and their dogs, physical and mental stimulation plus an opportunity to deepen the bond and understanding between them. In an inherently fun environment, handlers teach their dog basic skills of attention, off lead control, sits, stays, downs and recalls normally taught in a formal Obedience Class, all whilst performing obstacles.
In the Activity Class, the dog relies on its handler’s cues to access the fun of doing obstacles and in doing so a more meaningful relationship emerges.
Please note: There is no additional cost for this class. A single ground fee payment covers Obedience and Activity Classes.
NEXT TRAINING DATE
Activity Class Benefits
Activity or agility classes have been found to be beneficial for all kinds of dogs:
- The fearful dogs gain confidence from learning in a positive environment how to negotiate obstacles and from their handlers’ improved understanding of canine behaviour
- The hyper dogs learn to channel their energy in a more constructive manner and to consider their handlers not only as a source of fun but also a leader worthy of attention – “control the fun, control the passion”
- The average dog will blossom – their ability to understand and appreciate their human partner grow and deepen within the fun and positive environment of the activity classes.
Activity Class Rules
- All dogs must be in Class 1 or above and be over 12 months of age.
- Arrive no later than 15 minutes before start of class
- Help set up equipment
- Help pack equipment away
- Whilst setting up and packing away equipment, all dogs need to be securely tethered.
- All dogs must be on lead at all times unless it is your turn
- Do not use the equipment unless your instructor has instructed you to do so
- No check chains, ½ check collars or harnesses are to be worn. Your dog must wear a flat collar during Activity class
- Bring rewards for your dog e.g. food, toys, tug toy, ball, whatever your dog loves.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn … no thongs or sandals
- Bring your sense of humour and have fun!