Key points: Running Recalls; Weaving; & NSW Companion Animals Act
The following is an overview of the training exercises and discussion topics covered during Week 5:
Revision of Weeks 1-4 exercises
Discussion - NSW Companion Animals Act:
- Discuss key points of NSW Companion Animals Act - links provided on Club website
- Council regulations – links to Eastern Suburbs Councils on Club website
- Barking and environmental enrichment
- Fronting your dog or Come Fore: Heel forward with dog, then run backwards short distance away from dog and command “Come”, luring dog with food into Sit in front of handler. Finish around dog
- Formal Recall: Leave dog on Sit Stay, walk to end of lead, turn to face & command “Come”, luring dog with food into Sit in front of handler. Finish around dog
- Remember, never reprimand a dog when it has come (even if you've had to fetch it!).
Stabilisation exercise - Weaving between cones: Incorporate Heel, Sit, Stand and Down.
Challenge Reminder: Teach your dog a trick for Week 6 Graduation Show Time!
- Responsible Dog Ownership Course Resources: Quotes from & links to various sources to complement Discussion Points covered in class.