Key points: Stabilisation during Stays; Close Heeling; & Car safety
The following is an overview of the training exercises and discussion topics covered during Week 4:
Revision of Weeks 1-3 exercises
- Sit Stay – Finish Around Dog: Set dog into Stay, step in front (leading off with right leg) and finish around your dog
- Repeat Finish Around Dog for Stand Stay and Down Stay - if dog moves, simply return and start exercise over, but do not reward nor reprimand.
Discussion - Car Safety:
- Dog to wait in car until lead is attached and he/she is invited out. Dog should then sit while handler shuts the door.
- Heeling: Use dog’s name, “Heel” command and food lure to walk dog in straight line, with loose leash, close to left leg. Sit on halt – lure, hand signal & voice command or automatic
- Heeling with Right and Left About Turns and Sit on halts: Lure, with hand signals and voice command
- Left & Right Turns: Lure with food. Encourage handlers to keep dogs in close when making turns, by keeping food close to left leg
- Weaving: Heel dog on loose leash in and out of line of cones
Challenge: Teach your dog a trick for Week 6 Graduation Show Time!
- Responsible Dog Ownership Course Resources: Quotes from & links to various sources to complement Discussion Points covered in class.